The Institute of Sustainable Processes (ISP) is a research institute of the University of Valladolid dedicated to solving environmental issues and improving industrial processes through the development of sustainable technologies, as well as control and automation tools.
ISP is becoming a leading center in research and innovation for the development of a sustainable economy that’s based on the proper management of natural resources and waste and making the most of them, which allows improving the competitiveness of the industrial sector.
Environment conservation and improvement and the industry competitiveness and sustainability are great challenges that must be faced jointly to obtain effective solutions. That’s why ISP wants to conduct research and innovation activities of an interdisciplinary nature as well as offer highly specialized training to create innovative knowledge.
Our lines of research are organized into five scientific and technological units:
Environmental Technology Unit
We develop new biological processes for treatment and valorization of solid, liquid and gaseous contaminants and waste.
Analytical Chemistry, Environment and Chemometrics Unit
We design and apply the best methods of assays of organic and inorganic pollutants in environmental samples, with emphasis on trace elements and emerging pollutants.
Industrial Process Supervision and Control Unit
We use advanced modeling, optimization and control tools to achieve a more efficient industrial process operation.
Chemical and Biochemical Processes Unit
We transform agroindustrial and agri-food waste into biofuels and bioactive compounds. We improve conversion efficiency and reduce the energy requirements of the process by developing clean biomass pretreatment technologies.
Porous Surfaces and Materials Unit
We develop innovative porous or partially porous materials for membrane processes, including gas permeation, reverse osmosis, nanofiltration, ultrafiltration and microfiltration.
We implement these lines of research by executing various projects regionally as well as nationally and internationally. You can check them all, both finished and ongoing, here:
From the beginning of our research activity we have prepared numerous publications, available for consultation. You can check the list with their corresponding links to access each of them here:
SERVICES AND TECHNOLOGICAL OFFER
· Pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass.
· Fermentation processes.
· Odor and volatile organic compound treatment.
· Treatment and valorization of greenhouse gases.
· Analysis, control and treatment of emerging contaminants.
· Biological wastewater treatment.
· Systems biology and metabolic engineering applied to pollutant valorization.
· Production of bioplastic and ectoine from waste.
· Biofuels and bioactive compounds generated from agri-food waste.
· Development of porous materials with separative properties.
· Membrane systems to separate complex liquids or gases.
· Advanced control and process supervision.
· Process modeling and simulation.
· Industrial computing and systems engineering.
· Biomethane production (biological biogas upgrading).
· Bioindication and microbial diversity studies.
· Chemical analysis of agri-food, water and sludge samples.
Our research has an impact and an application in the real economy. Proof of these are the projects developed for the companies which we collaborate with. You have a list of these works here:
Some of our goals are to provide a high quality education and the development of excellent scientific careers. We help our students obtain the highest academic and professional certification. Our members teach the following:
· Process and Systems Engineering
· Industrial engineering
· Chemical and Environmental Engineering
· Quality, Environmental and Labor Risk Prevention Management
· Food Quality, Development and Innovation
· Energy: Generation, Management and Efficient Use
· Environmental engineering
· Bioenergy Engineering and Energy Sustainability
· Research in Process Engineering and Industrial Systems
· Industrial engineering
· Chemical engineering
· Advanced Chemistry Techniques. Chemical Analysis and Quality Control
NATIONAL, REGIONAL AND EUROPEAN
Our activities are framed in the fields of scientific specialization of the RIS3 of Castile and León, in the Spanish Strategy of Science, Technology and Innovation, and in the priorities established by Europe in its R&D&I Framework Program.
We have highly qualified and proactive researchers who are the key to enhancing the impact of the center’s research.
We actively work with companies and administrations to improve industrial sustainability, make the most of resources and reduce environmental impact.
You can check who takes part in the ISP team or contact any of its members through this link: